[OSM-talk] Hosting for gosmore files

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 22:36:25 BST 2008

I'm pleased to say that the gosmore project has made significant progress
this winter (|| latitude > 0 && echo summer ). The data format is already
quite stable and the software has been tested on a number of different
devices. You may also have seen the web routing service.

But I think the largest benefit to OSM will be the mobile editing. People
whipping out their GPSs whenever they have a few spare minutes to check and
update the map. Then postprocessing and uploading with JOSM.

So to make it easy for them, I need to regularly generate and host OSM data
for many (if not all countries). Doing it from here (South Africa) will be
prohibitively expensive, but I guess one you may have rackspace on the net
where I can run the cronjob. The process could work something like this :
1. Download files from http://downloads.cloudmade.com/ late at night.
2. Start rebuilding as soon as the first download is complete.
3. Host the files.

Regards,
Nic