[OSM-talk] mkgmap POI details

Tue Aug 19 08:28:26 BST 2008

simon at mungewell.org wrote:

> 1) Is it possible to include more information with the PIOs. Such as
> contact numbers ('phone' tag), which would be for restuarants/etc?

If you don't mind a bit of Perlery, I preprocess the .osm file to
make a cycling version of the map, essentially by rewriting the tags
before mkgmap sees them. You could do something similar by adding the
phone= value to the end of the name= value.

> 2) The bottom left of display (on Etrex Vista) says 'mapsource'
> under the
> map scale. Is this hard coded somewhere, or can it be made to say
> 'OpenStreetMap' somehow?

AFAIK this doesn't mean "Garmin Mapsource", it means "the source is
valid for this zoom level" rather than "you have zoomed in too far
for the source to be useful" (at which point it says "overzoom"). But
I may be very wrong.

cheers
Richard