[OSM-talk] Searching for recently added names not working

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Mon Aug 25 10:56:50 BST 2008

On 25/08/2008 00:27, Brett Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 8:19 PM, David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com
> <mailto:david at frankieandshadow.com>> wrote:
>     Sorry about this. The rules changed under my feet!
>
> Are you sure?  I didn't remember changing anything in this space so
> checked svn.  My original osmosis code import to svn in September 2007
> had the xml tag named as "create".  The same code is used for creating
> the xml within the bz2 and gz files so there shouldn't be any difference
> between the two.  The difference between the bz2 and gz processes was in
> the extract automation, not the database and xml code.
>
> I wouldn't bring it up except that it sounds like you might be missing
> more data than just that which changed in the past couple of weeks.

Hmm, I think you are right. I can't see when this did start happening
though.

I believe it was correct when the incremental updates to namefinder
started in March (20 March to be precise; I believe the daily diffs
contained 'add' at that point - is that your understanding too?).

I can find unchanged entries from late May that are in the index; OTOH
the problem may be more subtle in that if the last element before
'create' was 'modify', then the 'create's may be interpreted as modify,
but if it was delete, then as delete, so sometimes entries might have
been, added sometimes not.

Could it have been the change you mailed about on June 24? Or were the
bzip files unchanged at that point, and only the new gz ones (which I
only switched to on August 8) affected?

Am I imagining it, or was there a point at which 'create' replaced 'add'
in the daily files?

I suspect I am going to have to reload from a full planet, in which case
I won't do anything urgently as it will be useful to add a few more
categories of object to the index and make a few changes to the
proximity algorithm before I do.

David