[OSM-talk] Left and Right?

Robin Paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 00:47:50 BST 2008

2008/8/27 David Ebling <dave_ebling at yahoo.co.uk>:
> I disagree. I might drive up to a post box to post a letter, if I was really
> lazy. However, unless I'm a bus driver (and let's face it, they're not going
> to be the main map users) you are unlikely to drive up to a bus stop to get
> on a bus (unless you're dropping someone off of course, in which case you
> may cause an obstruction to a bus.)
>
> Bus stops are POIs that are primarily of interest to pedestrians, not
> motorists, so which side of the road they are matters, and the logical place
> to put nodes is, IMHO, next to the road, not in the middle of it.  The bus
> may stop in the road, or it may pull into a layby that forms part of the bus
> stop. However, the bus stop user stands to the side of the road.

that's not really the point - the fact remains, it is a feature of the
road, regardless of whether a road user or pavement user is more
likely to use it. we shouldn't change the mapped location of an item
based upon it's use case. it's either in one position or another - we
shouldn't get all artistic with it