[OSM-talk] mkgmap questions

Simon Wood simon at mungewell.org
Wed Aug 27 06:02:30 BST 2008

Hi,
I made some really good progress last week and got a map together for the Crowsnest Pass. Unfortunately for the area I chose with a fair number of contours the map redraw was quite slow. I have worked out how to graduate the contours so more appear as the user zooms in, I'll have to wait to see if this speeds up rendering.

I was thinking that the render might be quicker if I used a series of smaller maps. I used osmosis to split the '.osm' file into smaller tiles. However this was not putting any 'bound box' line into the file and mkgmap was therefore not cropping the tile neatly, instead it was including the ways which overhung the edge of the bounding box. Should this be the case, or am I mis-understanding?

General questions about garmin maps.

1). The '--gmapsupp' option makes compress archives. Can multiple of these be loaded at the same time, or does the user have to have access to the individual map files if they want to load more than just my map?

2). What is the purpose of the tdb-files ('--tdbfile' option)? I have never used mapsource....

Thanks,
Simon.