[OSM-talk] [Talk-GB] Corporate Cartographers accused of

Bob Hawkins bobhawkins at waitrose.com
Fri Aug 29 10:19:07 BST 2008

Richard,

I have just read your most recent post.  I have emailed a 'Catching up' message to Mary this morning, following reports of her recent address to the Royal Geographical Society.  I read with interest your comment, '(who, incidentally, taught me everything I know about cartography :)'.  I worked with Mary from the time she came from Pergamon Press to David L. Fryer & Company (subsequently GEOProjects Limited) until I left GEOprojects for MapInfo in 1996.  They were hard and difficult times economically, but we maintained the highest standards of cartography throughout.  I am proud to have been associated with so much good work that we did and the numbers of people in cartography who benefited from our enthusiasm, expertise and demanding standards.

I have come full circle.  I retired from work about eighteen months ago, but after a career lifetime of doing something I loved, it was difficult to turn my back on it.

I commented to Mary this morning, 'I guess it started with buying a GPS receiver last year.  That led me into all sorts of fascinating areas, but, most recently, I rediscovered OpenStreetMap.  This is a whole world of its own that has enticed me into actively contributing.  I find myself now drawing once again Henley-on-Thames plus surrounding area, which I first did nearly forty years ago!'.

With best wishes,

Bob Hawkins