[OSM-talk] Correct tagging of church grounds

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 29 13:58:12 BST 2008

My only thought would be tag as much as you can (carpark, graveyard,
buildings, paths, are all quite big) which will give an idea of what's the
space been used as.
Perhaps the remaining space could be tagged as some green landuse(I assume
it has grass & trees), although you want to avoid people going there to play
football. So why not propose something a new tag for it.

2008/8/29 Dermot McNally <dermotm at gmail.com>

> Hi,
>
> This post arises out of the Drogheda mapping party held last weekend.
> For the party, our base was a parish hall in the grounds of a church,
> kindly placed at our disposal by the Rector. As thanks, we made sure
> to collect detailed mapping information for church and grounds.
>
> I can't work out the best tagging for the perimeter of the church
> grounds themselves. These encompass the church itself, the parish
> hall, a car park, rectory and gardens, all of which can be tagged
> easily enough in ways that will render. I've provisionally used
> landuse=churchyard, which doesn't render.
>
> Is there any consensus of how this should be tagged? If so, does it
> render, or might it in the future? Our PR value rises greatly if the
> people who have been kind to us can see the results of our mapping...
>
> Thanks,
> Dermot
>
> --

Gregory