[OSM-talk] Path rendering in the cycleway

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Sun Aug 31 06:50:46 BST 2008

I think it is really confusing for tags to appear on the main list of
features (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Map_Features) which then
don't get implemented by core applications and I fear that we could end up
with a maze of different tags used by different applications which would be
really confusing for mappers and expecially newcomers?

A new person, reads up, does some cautious editing and them some features
don't appear on some applications they get told, well..... if you want a
walking route to appear on mapnik you should tag it as xxxx, but if you want
it on osmarender remember that you mustn't use yyy however on the cycle
layer it is best to yyy except that free-map prefers zzz and if you want it
to route on openrouteservice you should etc etc.

I think there are two messages here, firstly we should be really careful
about voting for new features in the core tagging list unless they are
strictly necessary, and secondly when a tag does get added then we should
look for rapid adoption across the main applications.

So, I am not really commenting on the path tag as such (although I could
because I have used it and do want it to appear on the cycle layer), it is
more that I want to avoid different dialects of tagging being used to pander
to different applications. The rule 'render and they will come' will become
really divisive if different application demand different tagging for the
same features.

Regards,

Peter(Ito)