[OSM-talk] Path rendering in the cycleway

spaetz osm at sspaeth.de
Sun Aug 31 09:12:08 BST 2008

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 06:50:46AM +0100, Peter Miller wrote:

> I think there are two messages here, firstly we should be really careful
> about voting for new features in the core tagging list unless they are
> strictly necessary,

Hear, hear! +1

> and secondly when a tag does get added then we should
> look for rapid adoption across the main applications.

speaking for osmarender at least, that would require somebody who feels responsible for the style sheets and takes care of that. Jiri Klement has been doing a good job at improving things. But it still doesn't have a CSO (Chief Style Officer :-)).

And second each added tag makes a) parsing slower b) the stylesheet more unreadable (for maintainers). So adding tags as they are added to the core features list would require some confidence that the addition process is sane and careful (which goes against the wiki principle on that page and which goes against the current voting behavior too)

I, personally, am not very keen to implement Sundays:OnLeftSide:SkiingRouteWithoutSnowboards:ButHikersOK=path (I think I have stepped on enough toes now ;-))
just because 2 people think it would be nifty and useful.

OSM is a kingdom divided in pricipalities. And each of this principality is governed by a "Benevolent Dictator" with very different views on how and what OSM is and how/what maps should look like. You will never see the same features rendered on Mapnik as on osmarender. And that is OK, even if it makes the maps look different. Whether it is the right governance structure s a different question, but changing that would require employing all of us :-)

spaetz