[OSM-talk] Where have all the contributors gone?

Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) ajrlists at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 1 16:09:44 GMT 2008

Igor Brejc [mailto:igor.brejc at gmail.com] wrote:
>Sent: 01 December 2008 3:57 PM
>To: Donald Allwright
>Cc: Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists); 80n; talk at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Where have all the contributors gone?
>
>How about covering your area with land use data using yahoo/landsat?
>It's something I do occasionally at the end of the work day when I'm
>totally exhausted - it's a nice dumb work which helps my brain turn off.
>And it comes handy for various hiking maps (example of my area:
>http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=46.5045&lon=15.534&zoom=12&layers=0B00FTF
>).
>
>Anyway, I find mapping footpaths in forests much more interesting than
>plain old residential streets and roads - fewer people tend to cover
>them and sometimes it turns out be a real adventure - getting lost or
>meeting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Wild_Boar_Habbitat_3.jpg
>
>Not to mention the health benefits ;)

This really depends on where you live. If you live in a major city then you
don't have much option but to map residential streets. Otherwise it's a
special trip out to the countryside. Not something you can easily do in a
lunch hour or after work.

A few locations excepted (eg the USA) the majority of urban conurbations
don't have Yahoo aerial imagery. Landsat is fine for generality but isn't
detailed enough to be of any use whatsoever in an urban sprawl. You get much
better results from detailed on the ground mapping in these instances.

Landsat is however a great starting point for blank areas of the map,
especially were water is present. Perhaps we should all strive to pick an
area of the world and add what we can from Landsat. Would be a useful drive,
especially for those that don't much like tracing Yahoo! or those that use
JOSM and find displaying Yahoo! a faff.

Cheers

Andy