[OSM-talk] Proposal for a map-bug tracker (Openstreetbugs)

Christoph Böhme christoph at b3e.net
Mon Dec 1 23:01:39 GMT 2008

Hi!

Bernhard Zwischenbrugger <bz at datenkueche.com> schrieb:
> What about defining the API first?

Yes, at least before starting some serious programming. My basic idea
for the api was to allow to add, search/filter, and modify bug reports
through a RESTful controller. The search/filter output should be able
to provide rss feeds to enable watching an area for changes and new
bugs.
I haven't really thought about email or jabber notifications. At the
moment I am just thinking of hooking some notification classes into the
main api. These can then send out what ever type of notification is
requested (text messages on your mobile depending on your current
location?).

> And before defining the API we need the use cases.

I tried to put some use cases on the proposal page already. Feel free
to add more (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Bugtracker_proposal).

> An other thing I would like to see are bug reports in XMPP (Jabber)
> Network. Think about a map that shows you a new report without
> polling. People could discuss immediately in a small chat window
> about this bug. Scalability shouldn't be a problem with XMPP.

Such a system might be an interesting job to set up. It could probably
be implemented as a transport for jabber that impersonates each bug
report with a new user. Everyone who has added one of these "users" to
their roster gets all messages other people send to this "user". Another
option would be some multi-user chat but I cannot really image how to
do this.

Cheers,
Christoph