[OSM-talk] does road width/lanes matter?

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Tue Dec 2 09:46:18 GMT 2008

2008/12/2 ビカス ヤダワ (vikas yadav) <mevikas at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> One more query I have.
> On the roads that I survey, I have always found that my GPX goes away from
> what the mapnik rendered.
> I assume that mapnik is working on standard conventions of road width.
> Here in New Delhi, we have lanes of width ~3m. Motorways have a fix 4 lanes
> per direction.
> Everything else (primary, secondary, territary and even trunk)  is just 2
> lanes for one direction, a total width of 6 metres with some exceptions like
> (they don't even paint marked lanes many times).
>
> My question is should I supply lane count and width properties to roads and
> will mapnik/tile at home paint respecting those properties?

Mapnik/tiles at home both draw their roads to make them look good on the
online map -- the width doesn't really have any relation to how wide
the roads really are. We draw more prominent roads wider to show they
are more prominent, but nothing more.

If you want to tag width and lanes then please do -- it will become
useful for future renderers or routing applications. But the current
renderers don't pay attention.

Dave