[OSM-talk] Hierarchy of places

Gustav Foseid gustavf at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 18:20:52 GMT 2008

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 7:14 PM, Ben Laenen <benlaenen at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's a very bad idea IMHO. This is just trying to fix what's wrong with
> the town/city/village tags with more of the same tags.

In my opinion, the main problem is that it lacks granularity. I have no way
to say "this town is rather large and an important commercial center for the
surrounding area" vs "this town is a rather small town which mostly consists
of suburbia". Could you please expand on what you think is wrong with
town/village/hamlet?

I can think of only a few European contries giving legal status as "city",
since they would all have to be English speaking countries.

 - Gustav