[OSM-talk] Hierarchy of places

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 18:55:50 GMT 2008

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 7:20 PM, Gustav Foseid <gustavf at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 7:14 PM, Ben Laenen <benlaenen at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> It's a very bad idea IMHO. This is just trying to fix what's wrong with
>> the town/city/village tags with more of the same tags.

I don't understand the controversy here.
The place=city/town/village granularity is freely defined per country.
It is just a hierarchy inside the country. A town is maybe 10,000+ in
England but maybe only 5000+ in Luxembourg or 100,000+ in US. Other
countries might use other criterias as population (eg. surface in
square meters).
The  question is coming because the name finder gives the same
importance to Paris, USA and Paris, France (or something like that).
Instead of making more artificial granularity on the place hierarchy
which is just moving the problem a bit farther not fixing it, I would
suggest to use other tags like the population or the admin_level. Then
it is the responsibility of the software developer to decide which one
is the best for his application.
The same applies for maps : if the renderer has to choose between two
closed place=town (text collision, not enough space),  it can decide
to select the town with the highest population, or may decide to show
the town with the lowest admin_level.

Pieren