[OSM-talk] Edit war on the wiki "map features"

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Tue Dec 2 18:38:17 GMT 2008

Ed Loach wrote:
> Looks good to me. Describe what the road is like, rather than making
> subjective judgments. Every driver/cyclist/vehicle will be different
> and will have to make their own choices. You can't tag for that. Or
> perhaps usability:kia_cee'd:edloach=good /
> usability:unicycle:edloach=can't balance

Except that leads to impossibly complex tagging and mapping requirements.

pothole_coverage
max_pothole_depth=
max_pothole_circumference=
max_pothole_length=
max_pothole_width=
average_pothole_depth=
average_pothole_circumference=
average_pothole_length=
average_pothole_width=
center_hump_height
max_rut_depth
max_stone_diameter
average_stone_diameter
max_root_diameter
average_root_diameter
minimum_ground_clearance
largest_unavoidable_bump_height for a motorcycle
largest_unavoidable_bump_height_for_a_car_2m_wide
largest_unavoidable_bump_height_for_a_bicycle
maximum_mud_depth
average_mud_viscosity
maximum_rut_depth
maximum_puddle_depth_during_rainy_season
maximum_puddle_depth_one_hour_after_5_cm_of_rain

Get out your measuring sticks and other tools, and be prepared to stop
regularly to measure!

There's more to surface quality than merely what it's made out of.
surface=* just doesn't cut it.

-Alex Mauer "hawke"