[OSM-talk] Edit war on the wiki "map features"

sylvain letuffe liste at letuffe.org
Tue Dec 2 19:00:17 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 02 December 2008 19:38, Alex Mauer wrote:
> Ed Loach wrote:
> > Looks good to me. Describe what the road is like, rather than making
> > subjective judgments. Every driver/cyclist/vehicle will be different
> > and will have to make their own choices. You can't tag for that. Or
> > perhaps usability:kia_cee'd:edloach=good /
> > usability:unicycle:edloach=can't balance
>
> Except that leads to impossibly complex tagging and mapping requirements.
(...)

I think no one should block any one to at least try. smoothness answers a
need, the solution of tagging every thing answer another (more precise) need.

But no one should ever force others to tag how they do.

Since at least a few are using smoothness, I don't see any problem to put it
on map features, and let people who want, use it.

But let also those people try to write a proposal that describe without
ambiguitiy, without subjectivity what we are trying to do with smoothness.

I'll even be glad to help (I have myself listed at least 10 tags for tracks).

But the bad critics are easy : "no don't, that's bullshit". (see chriscf) so
please, every one that belive that we have done it bad, just start a
proposal, describe the tags, start to use it, convince users. And once it
proves superior I'll be the one to propose to depracte smoothness.

As french says : "Entre le dire et le faire, il y a la mer"
( between say and do, there is a sea )

Sylvain Letuffe liste at letuffe.org
qui suis-je : http://slyserv.dyndns.org