[OSM-talk] Hierarchy of places

Gustav Foseid gustavf at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 21:40:05 GMT 2008

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 11:51 PM, Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> No. What I suggest is to keep the current place key as a first
> argument to prioritize places and use either "population" or
> "admin_level" as a second argument in case the first is equal. So if
> Paris is declared twice as a place=town in the db, the second argument
> can distinguish which one is the most important.

I am more concerned about giving good hints for renderers than the
namefinder, but I think the arguments are pretty much the same for both
cases.

Using other keys to give priority does not always work. Would you use the
population for London metropolitan area or City of London as the London
population, for instance? (I would argue that you use the metropolitan area,
but you probably get the point.) I think we should have some way of saying
that Boston is larger than Cambridge, Los Angeles is larger than Long Beach
and Karlstad is larger than Kil. Certainly, this could be done by adding
another set of tags, requiring another, potentially protected, datasource
and/or more computation by data consumers.

Some keys have added an enourmous number of values for things that are
almost the same. I would not suggest going to any extreme, but add two or
three values (one for large cities, one to differentiate between large and
small towns and perhaps one for the very large metropolitan areas).

 - Gustav