[OSM-talk] Google/OSM comparison - visualised

Steve Chilton S.L.Chilton at mdx.ac.uk
Sat Dec 6 10:29:55 GMT 2008

I have taken Bernard's original visual comparison (location data) and Alex's scoring (numerical comparison) and produced a map to visualise the results of the comparison.
The result can be seen at:
http://maker.geocommons.com/maps/1784
I have tried to remove any capitals that were mis-placed or incorrect, and obviously am using Alex's somewhat subjective metric.
The size of the circles are proportional to the values for both, so small is poor coverage and large good. The overlap of the circles shows who appears to be doing better (orangey/brown showing means that osm is doing better, blue google).
The geo-located data table is available from the link on the site.
Thanks to the Geocommons Maker! service this was quite easy to achieve, although I would have like to be able to show results on a combined scale from +5 (for osm 5, google 0) to -5 (osm 0, google +5), with 0 for equal, but couldn't find a way of using a bi-polar colour scale for point data in the software (having calculated a new column in the spreadsheet).

Cheers
STEVE