[OSM-talk] Are there any ways with street number ranges in the OSM database?

Dan Putler dan.putler at sauder.ubc.ca
Mon Dec 8 20:53:36 GMT 2008

Hi all,

I'm actually posting as a member of the Postal Address Geo-Coder, or
PAGC, project (www.pagcgeo.org). We have recently developed a web based
postal geocoder service, and are looking to setup a demo site. The site
will have publicly available US TIGER and Canadian StatsCan RNF data,
but we were hoping to use data for an area outside of North America. The
natural choice for this is OSM data. However, PAGC works best if there
are house number ranges along ways. My understanding (which may not be
correct) is that the development of a house number range tagging scheme
is something of an open issue at this point, but based on a thread from
April on this list ("house number revisited", started by Martijn van
Exel) some people have been tagging ways. If there are areas with tags
with house number ranges, we'd like to have some idea of where they are
located. PAGC is currently shapefile centric (though this will change in
the longer run), so we would need to convert the ways to shapefile
format to use them.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

--