[OSM-talk] Are there any ways with street number ranges in the OSM database?

Christoph Eckert ce at christeck.de
Mon Dec 8 21:31:21 GMT 2008

Hi Dan,

> My understanding (which may not be
> correct) is that the development of a house number range tagging scheme
> is something of an open issue at this point, but based on a thread from
> April on this list ("house number revisited", started by Martijn van
> Exel) some people have been tagging ways.

there's the "Karlsruhe model", see the wiki[1] for details. In Karlsruhe,
you'll also find some housenumbers in the osmarender tiles at highest zoom
level. Unfortunately, there are no tiles ATM. Karlsruhe is around [2]. You'll
find some excerpts of baden-wuerttemberg on [3].

In addition to the Karlsruhe schema, I also created some relations for a
handful of streets and put the housenumber nodes into those relations. I
doubt, though, if such a (rather complicated) method of linking houses to
streets will get more popular or even widely adopted. If interested, see the
street named "Graf-Rhena-Straße" in Karlsruhe as an example.

HTH & best regards,

ce

[1] http://tinyurl.com/64r6qz
[2] http://tinyurl.com/5tla5h