[OSM-talk] Something wrong with some postcode areas?

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Tue Dec 9 08:47:51 GMT 2008

On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 09:11:40AM +0100, Dirk-Lüder Kreie wrote:
> Elena of Valhalla schrieb:
> > Is there something wrong with some postcode areas between France and Germany?
> >
> > http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/?view=addresses&lon=5.81038&lat=44.04829&zoom=6
> >
> > this is the first time i've opened the OSM inspector, so I have no
> > clue what could be going on
>
> That's a known shortcoming of the method OSM inspector uses to connect
> postcode areas. Since it just uses a "same number" scheme to identify
> address nodes belonging to the same PC area, it sometimes connects
> unrelated PC areas in different countries, because the numbers are the same.

Close, but not quite correct. :-)

The OSM Inspector uses the combination of addr:postcode and addr:country for
making those areas. So if people in two countries tag the same postcode
and don't tag the addr:country at all, they get thrown together into one
area. If at least one uses addr:country=(lower-case iso-country-code),
the problem goes away.

This is still a shortcoming of the OSM Inspector because it should at
least try to use the country borders or something to define the default
for addr:country.

Jochen