[OSM-talk] addressing

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Wed Dec 10 17:12:46 GMT 2008

On 10 Dec 2008, at 16:41, Matias D'Ambrosio wrote:

> On Wednesday 10 December 2008 12:04:13 you wrote:
>>> In your country, perhaps. In my country, that's EXACTLY what
>>> the address is.
>>> The address is the street and distance from the street's
>>> starting point, in
>>> metres.
>>
>> What happens if two houses are built facing each other on opposite
>> sides of the street? Wouldn't they get assigned the same number? Or
>> does someone arbitrarily decide which is closer and increase or
>> decrease one of the numbers by 1?
> Hmm, strange country you live in if houses are 1 metre wide, houses
> here are
> usually 10 metres wide. And each side of the street has even or odd
> numbers,
> although unusual (I can't think of any such street at this moment)
> it's
> possible to have them mixed.

South Bridge in Edinburgh has the numbers run up one side, then back
down the other. I have come across some residential streets that are
numbered all the way around. It's very rare around here for houses to
be numbered based on the end of the road. What happens when you extend
that end of the road?

> Each house has an assigned number, which I think
> can be chosen by the owner (I don't know exactly when it's chosen, and
> whether it can be changed, or how easily), that number is within the
> range
> the house occupies.
> What's also important, is the usage. It is very common to say "Alem
> Avenue
> 1200" to refer to a corner or the block face that has the range
> 1200-1299.
> Using "Alem Avenue and San Juan Street" is unusual unless both are
> well known
> streets. Each city block is 100 metres by 100 metres, so counting
> blocks is
> helpful if there are no signs on the corners and houses don't have
> numbers on
> the front (or they are not easily visible from a car), which is not
> uncommon,
> in fact I used this method of finding a house just last week. Mighty
> convenient, let me tell you :)

I find it very strange that you city blocks are so consistently 100
metres by 100 metres. In my experience they are some random size.
Consistent block sizes and grid road layouts are just so strange. It's
trunk and branch cul-de-sacs that are the foray of the planners.

Shaun