[OSM-talk] addressing

Matias D'Ambrosio angasule at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 22:33:14 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 10 December 2008 15:12:46 you wrote:
> South Bridge in Edinburgh has the numbers run up one side, then back
> down the other. I have come across some residential streets that are
> numbered all the way around. It's very rare around here for houses to
> be numbered based on the end of the road. What happens when you extend
> that end of the road?
 No idea, around here they are numbered from the start :) If you go past the
start of a street, another street starts, so it can always be extended at the
end.

> I find it very strange that you city blocks are so consistently 100
> metres by 100 metres. In my experience they are some random size.
> Consistent block sizes and grid road layouts are just so strange. It's
> trunk and branch cul-de-sacs that are the foray of the planners.
 Oh, no, that's the ideal, only a few cities are close to perfect. There are
certainly forks, curves and cul de sacs, but they are the exception, not the
rule. I have seen areas of Italy for example that don't seem to have a single
stretch of road that's straight for more than 50 metres.