[OSM-talk] addressing

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Thu Dec 11 09:05:58 GMT 2008

On 10 Dec 2008, at 23:04, Matias D'Ambrosio wrote:

> On Wednesday 10 December 2008 15:12:46 Shaun McDonald wrote:
>>
>> South Bridge in Edinburgh has the numbers run up one side, then back
>> down the other.
> I just looked at Edinburgh and all I can say is, I'm sorry! Looks
> like a mess
> to map, excellent work :)

I'm sure the people who have been mapping Edinburgh and similar such
cities will be happy to hear that.

>> I find it very strange that you city blocks are so consistently 100
>> metres by 100 metres. In my experience they are some random size.
>> Consistent block sizes and grid road layouts are just so strange.
>> It's
>> trunk and branch cul-de-sacs that are the foray of the planners.
> I guess I just want you to hate me a little, here is my city, we often
> complain about the poor quality of the grid:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-38.7142&lon=-62.2544&zoom=13&layers=0B00FTF

I suppose I'm that used to wiggly roads that it would be strange to do
some grid based city.

> Pay no attention to the weird mix of primary/secondary/tertiary,
> we're soon
> having a meeting to improve that.

On a more serious note about addressing, the Karlsruhe Schema would
still fit your scenario. You can interpolate along each block, and
assume that there is no guarantee that every building number exists.
Then for extra detail, you can mark every house in. I don't see any
reason why it wouldn't work.

Shaun