[OSM-talk] Is OSM Mapper ready for 0.6? (was Re: Disable Potlatch finally)

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 11:26:07 GMT 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 10:01 AM, Iván Sánchez Ortega
<ivan at sanchezortega.es> wrote:

> On Wed, December 17, 2008 10:53, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
>> Strictly "have the option of entering", not "have to enter". Comments are
>> optional.
>
> AFAIK, the 0.6 API requires a comment when opening a changeset (I might be
> wrong on this, as I haven't looked at the specs for quite some time). But,
> of course, users are free to enter an empty comment, or just junk, when
> entering the comment. And the software may decide to automatically enter
> stuff in the changeset comment.

We discussed compulsory changeset comments, but there were two main
reasons against it:

1) Tag inspection: it would lead to the API reacting to one particular
series of utf8 bytes in a key. It doesn't do anything special for any
other tag anywhere in the system, and I'd like to keep it that way
2) Junk comments: as you describe above, if we compel someone to make
a comment when they don't want to (e.g. start of live editing, bulk
upload scripts), they'll just put junk in instead. There's little to
be gained from doing so.

So they are strictly optional, but recommended, and it's really
something I'd like to see as many people as possible doing.

Cheers,
Andy