[OSM-talk] Is OSM Mapper ready for 0.6? (was Re: Disable Potlatch finally)

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Wed Dec 17 11:45:36 GMT 2008

On 17 Dec 2008, at 09:47, Iván Sánchez Ortega wrote:

> On Wed, December 17, 2008 03:22, maning sambale wrote:
>>> Is OSM Mapper ready for 0.6?
>> May I request the coders (I'm a mapper not a coder ;).  To give us an
>> overview of what will the API 0.6 will be all about?
>
> Basically, you'll have to enter a brief description for every bunch of
> edits (just as you have to do when you update a wikipedia page) that
> you
> upload.
>
> This should allow for easier change reviews, and much easier
> rollbacks.
>
> Most read-only tools should work with little or no modification, and
> most
> mappers won't even have to change their workflow (besides filling up a
> textbox writing what the bunch of edits was about).

If the read-only tool uses regexes, and relies on a specific ordering
of the tags in the XML, then there will be problems. If they use an
XML parser there shouldn't be any issues.

In terms of mappers, they will need to know about how to deal with
data conflicts, as the server will reject any data that has changed
since the user downloaded it. This extra support for the API would be
excellent, and would be partially backwards compatible with the
current 0.5 API (the only exception is the version number).

Shaun