[OSM-talk] [Spam] Re: Is OSM Mapper ready for 0.6? (was Re: DisablePotlatch finally)

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 11:38:45 GMT 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 9:57 AM, Peter Miller <peter.miller at itoworld.com> wrote:

> For the avoidance of doubt, is the format of the planet file changing
> or does this just affect the API between editors and the DB?

I think it's an open topic that's not been much discussed. The planet
file contains all the geographic data in OSM (but not, e.g., diary
comments) and although changesets will be fairly closely tied with the
geodata they don't represent things on the ground. So while they are
unnecessary when considering OSM as a finished geodata set, they are
very interesting when it comes to figuring out how that data got put
together.

> Is there anything that we must change in OSM Mapper (the product) to
> accommodate the new API?

Probably not. I believe the user data will still appear in the same
place in the xml (although it's no longer stored per node/way, it's
stored per changeset instead).

> Is there anything we 'could' change in OSM
> Mapper to take advantage of new content in the planet file? In
> particular will the text associated with the changeset be available in
> the planet file. Finally - if the planet file is changing - are there
> sample planet files with this additional information available for us
> to test with OSM Mapper prior to the switch-over.

See above - at the moment the plans for distributing changeset
information in bulk (i.e. in the planet file? In another dump?) hasn't
been confirmed, but yes, there are things in the new API that OSM
Mapper could take advantage since it's intrinsically interested in the
meta-data concerning users, time of edits etc, and that's the main
changes to the API / whole point of changesets. For people using just
the geodata (e.g. me with opencyclemap) there's no geo-data changes of
note: nodes are nodes, ways are ways, relations are (now ordered)
relations.

Cheers,
Andy