[OSM-talk] Is anyone making public transport routing mapsbasedon OpenStreetMap data?

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Thu Dec 18 00:14:44 GMT 2008

On 17 Dec 2008, at 23:16, Joe Hughes wrote:

> On 17 Dec 2008, at 7:05, Peter Miller wrote:
>>> I wonder if there is scope for an OpenTimetable.org system or
>>> similar,
>>> which is an integrated - and open - bus/train timetable database.
>>> Transport companies could be invited to supply data to this, and
>>> then it
>>> could be made available to anyone.
>
> Out of the things that exist today, this is the closest:
> http://www.gtfs-data-exchange.com/
>
> but there are couple other related starting points:
> http://www.opentransitdata.org/
> http://code.google.com/p/googletransitdatafeed/wiki/PublicFeeds
>
> Several people on the Transit Developers mailing list have created
> bits of software to enter & maintain timetable data, but I don't know
> if any of them are in a state to be reused for this.
>
>> Personally I also think it would be good to provide a way for people
>> to enter old timetables. I have a bradshaws 1921 railway timetable
>> and
>
> Historical data would be fantastic!

If the editing tools are there and there is some pretty rendering and
journey planning at the end of it then someone only needs to set up a
system to allow people to claim different pages of the timetable book
(all 1000 pages) and it will be done in a few months if I know
anything about train enthusiasts! Such a project would of course need
historical rail networks and stations as well so there is plenty to
keep people busy through the long winter evenings.

This site sells all sorts of old timetables....
http://www.roberthumm.co.uk/acatalog/Time_Tables__Other.html

>> Are you in favour of a new list to discuss these sorts of things?
>
> You've got my vote for a more public-transport-related list.

Thanks Joe. Sounds like we have got a nice vibrant community building
here. I will get a list sorted.

I have just taken a look at the gtfs-data-exchange site for the first
time. Very useful, loads of data and it should be a magnet for loads
more over time.

Regards,

Peter