[OSM-talk] Is OSM Mapper ready for 0.6? (was Re: DisablePotlatch finally)

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 08:56:27 GMT 2008

In short:

Mappers need not worry about changing mapping habits.  Editing is the
way it is (unlike the transition from API 0.4 to 0.5!), you're just
encourage to explain your edit session via changeset comments

This is what I usually do:
1. Download a manageable chunk via OSMXAPI.
2. Edit via JOSM for a full 4-5 hours.
3. Then upload via my dial-up (10 kbps) connection.
4. Sleep.

What if someone edited a few ways?  Does it invalidate my whole
changeset/edit session? Or just the modified node/way/relation?

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 5:18 AM, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 12:52 -0800, Beej Jorgensen wrote:
>
> [about adding commit comments to changelogs]
>
>> Finally, there might be some way to appeal to the mapper's pride.
>> Putting the right comment on a change log is more than just for
>> tracking--it's a way of saying, "*this* is the work *I* did!"  We could
>> have a way for users to see others' changelogs, for example, which might
>> be shown as one's "Openstreetmap History of Work".  The last thing I'd
>> want is for the record of my hard effort to say "asdf" over and over again.
>
> Put the last ten commit comments in the user profile or diary?
>
> Offer a Lolcat of Commit-Comment-Awesomeness.

cheers,
maning
wiki: http://esambale.wikispaces.com/
blog: http://epsg4253.wordpress.com/