[OSM-talk] Is OSM Mapper ready for 0.6? (was Re: DisablePotlatch finally)

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Thu Dec 18 09:11:21 GMT 2008

On 18 Dec 2008, at 08:56, maning sambale wrote:

> In short:
>
> Mappers need not worry about changing mapping habits.  Editing is the
> way it is (unlike the transition from API 0.4 to 0.5!), you're just
> encourage to explain your edit session via changeset comments
>
> This is what I usually do:
> 1. Download a manageable chunk via OSMXAPI.

Is the OSMXAPI ready to return version numbers? [For devs to answer]

> 2. Edit via JOSM for a full 4-5 hours.
> 3. Then upload via my dial-up (10 kbps) connection.
> 4. Sleep.
>
> What if someone edited a few ways?  Does it invalidate my whole
> changeset/edit session? Or just the modified node/way/relation?

It will invalidate just the modified node/way/relation.
With JOSM in 0.6 there will be diff uploads, which means that all the
changes are sent at one time. This does mean that the whole change
will be rejected, if one node has been modified before you have
uploaded. As the upload is done as a single request, less bandwidth
hence time will be required. I don't know what the speedup is. The
speedup is likely to depend on the network connection.

Shaun