[OSM-talk] Is anyone making public transport routing maps based onOpenStreetMap data?

Hugh Barnes list.osm at hughbris.com
Thu Dec 18 10:41:57 GMT 2008

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 14:31:46 -0800
"Joe Hughes" <joe at headwayblog.com> wrote:

> Hugh Barnes said:
>
> >> http://code.google.com/p/googletransitdatafeed/wiki/PublicFeeds
> >
> > Ewww, CSV serialisations requiring their own purpose-built
> > validator … Like you say, we can build from it. Let's look through
> > the fields/elements, but make something proper and scalable that
> > leverages XML as it should.
>
> I can sympathize with your format prejudice, but GTFS is aimed at
> making things as easy as possible for the data provider, since getting
> the data in the first place is often the hardest part.

I can sympathise with your pragmatism, and was starting realise that
must be what's behind your choice. Sad but true. I still think while
you can accept CSV, you should want to cast into XML pretty soon to
make it nice to work with. Ultimately, it's possibly not that important.

> I should also
> point out that the validator also checks a lot of deeper semantic
> things related to transit timetable logic, not just syntactic issues.

AFAIK most complex validations can be done with the standard XML
toolkit.

If you haven't already, you should look at Schematron. If you can
express a constraint as a boolean XPath expression, the power is yours.

> As far as I'm aware, though, there's been more detailed transit data
> opened to the public in GTFS than in any other format, and it'd be
> great to get the relevant parts of that into OSM.

Yep, or to an offshoot data set or wherever.

Cheers