[OSM-talk] Is anyone making public transport routing maps based onOpenStreetMap data?

Joe Hughes joe at headwayblog.com
Thu Dec 18 17:28:03 GMT 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 2:41 AM, Hugh Barnes <list.osm at hughbris.com> wrote:
> I can sympathise with your pragmatism, and was starting realise that
> must be what's behind your choice. Sad but true. I still think while
> you can accept CSV, you should want to cast into XML pretty soon to
> make it nice to work with. Ultimately, it's possibly not that important.

Public transport schedule data tends to be so voluminous that "nice to
work with" generally means putting it into a database in any case.
However, for those who are more comfortable working with XML, there's
GTFS-to-TransXChange conversion code by Joachim Pheiffer in the
"GoogleTransitDataFeed" open-source project:
http://code.google.com/p/googletransitdatafeed/

Additionally, Nick Knowles and our own Peter Miller have done some
interesting work attempting to reconcile the implicit GTFS data model
with TransModel--Peter, is your latest document publicly available
online somewhere?  Devising an XML schema that allowed lossless
conversion to and from GTFS would be an interesting project.

Joe