[OSM-talk] buildings and roads

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Thu Dec 18 11:01:30 GMT 2008

On 18 Dec 2008, at 10:52, Steve Chilton wrote:

> Equally roads don’t usually run over buildings – which could be case
> if reversed. Basically auto-rendering of these two can not be
> correct for all cases/zooms.
> Needs intelligence to say “nudge that building away from the road in
> this instance” – later?

Surely this is just a great example demonstrating that catography is
harder than it seems at first sight. The problem is that the roads are
not draw to their real width and therefore the building must be nudged
or shrunk so as not to collide with the super-wide roads as rendered.

What we should not do is move the building outlines on the ground to
make the rendering work, as far as I am concerned it is a rendering
problem even if it is  a hard one.

Regards,

Peter