[OSM-talk] Rendering of Place Names in Mapnik

Karl Newman siliconfiend at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 16:21:25 GMT 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 7:59 AM, Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 4:29 PM, Iván Sánchez Ortega
> <ivan at sanchezortega.es> wrote:

> > So, "cultural_level" tag?
> >

> Nothing more subjective ? ;-)
> Say the truth : we need a tag for rendering in case of name collision
> when the category (city) and admin_level (county seat) are the same
> (forget population which is even worst in this example).
> Just an idea : why not reusing the tag "layer" applying for same place
> levels ?
> San Francisco node: layer=1
> Daly City node: (layer can be ommited)
>
> Pieren

The discussion was between San Francisco and San Jose. The Daly City
strangeness could be fixed by checking population. (Daly City ~100k, San
Francisco ~800k).

If we're going to tag for the renderer, why not just do it explicitly and
call it render_priority (instead of abusing another tag with a different
purpose)?

Karl