[OSM-talk] Is anyone making public transport routing maps basedon OpenStreetMap data?

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 16:29:29 GMT 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Nick Whitelegg
<Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk> wrote:
>>I think that would be an excellent idea, however don't assume transit
>>authorities will always give you the data because they often won't for
>>various reasons. There is not however a problem as far as I know in
>>people collecting their own timetable information from printed
>>material and entering it into a common DV. What would be needed would
>>be a repository and a way of entering data.
>
> Some sort of AJAXy thing where an incomplete timetable is presented then
> people fill in the data (with operations available to repeat every hour)
> sounds good.

You can't crowdsource a timetable. You can't crowdsource the future
without objective evidence.

You can, however, crowdsource what has happened in the past, and use
it to make list of when the trains usually used to run. But I have
absolutely no interest in an application that says "trains usually ran
on a Sunday at 10.35am up until last weekend" because I actually want
to go *this* Sunday and I want to know when the trains are *going* to
be running, which is in the future and the timetable changed this
week[1].

So as far as I'm concerned, the only really useful source of
timetables is whoever operates the service.

Cheers,
Andy

[1] hypothetically, but actually did quite recently for the UK rail
network, which is a useful illustration.