[OSM-talk] Rendering of Place Names in Mapnik

Gustav Foseid gustavf at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 16:43:38 GMT 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 5:24 PM, Karl Newman <siliconfiend at gmail.com> wrote:

> You're still missing the point about San Jose--it's larger in both area and
> population (and probably in economic activity as well), and is located
> within an hour's drive of San Francisco, but San Francisco is better known
> around the world and should arguably take priority in rendering.

My idea was that major_ could be used for a city "of greater importance" of
some kind. Someone also suggested a value metropolis for the large
metropolitan areas.

I do not agree that using population or area is a good way to solve this
problem. Finding population data for all named places is not easy (this
problem extends beyond the largest cities) and population is not necessarily
a good way to find the most "important" place name in an area.

 - Gustav