[OSM-talk] Rendering of Place Names in Mapnik

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 17:06:07 GMT 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Elena of Valhalla
<elena.valhalla at gmail.com> wrote:
> ok, not that likely, but I wouldn't use a tag with a different meaning
> when we can just add another specific one;

Is that really so different ? It is a renderer issue. Mapnik decides
to not draw one of the names in case of collision. But another
renderer could make it differently, drawing a name above the other, or
using smaller font, etc...
Of course, layer has not to be used in a general context but only in
something like this:
if (A.place "is not equal to" B.place)
    select A or B
else
    if (A.admin_level "is not equal to" B.admin_level
        select A or B
    else
        //A.admin_level = B.admin_level
        select highest A or B layer