[OSM-talk] Rendering of Place Names in Mapnik

Elena of Valhalla elena.valhalla at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 16:12:29 GMT 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 4:59 PM, Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Nothing more subjective ? ;-)
> Say the truth : we need a tag for rendering in case of name collision
> when the category (city) and admin_level (county seat) are the same
> (forget population which is even worst in this example).
> Just an idea : why not reusing the tag "layer" applying for same place levels ?
> San Francisco node: layer=1
> Daly City node: (layer can be ommited)

what happens if the place point happens to be in the area of a
building that hosts the city hall, is a brige, has two ways that pass
through it, crosses a river and below it there are a couple subway
lines?

ok, not that likely, but I wouldn't use a tag with a different meaning
when we can just add another specific one; either based on some hard
data (e.g. economic_activity), or clearly marked as a render hint
(render:priority, maybe?)

--
Elena of Valhalla

homepage: http://www.trueelena.org