[OSM-talk] Errors or not errors?

D Tucny d at tucny.com
Fri Dec 19 05:25:58 GMT 2008

2008/12/19 Tomas Straupis <tomasstraupis at gmail.com>

> Hello
>
>  While fixing some validation errors I've found an "interesting" case and
> would like to get your opinion on how to deal with it.
>
>  There is a school stadium mapped. Stadium has a usual oval and two
> "starting
> tails". It is mapped as leisure|track and validators seem to assume these
> have
> to be closed areas (which is true in most cases).
>
> http://keepright.ipax.at/report_map.php?ch30=30&lat=54.69444&lon=25.20876&zoom=17&requery=requery&layers=0BT
>  In this example stadium is made up from two "ways". In some other
> instances
> it could be made of one "way" having an extra line (something like letter
> Q).
>
>  This kind of mapping is rendered ok in osmarender and garmin map created
> with mkgmap but is NOT rendered in mapnik.
>
>  Does anybody have any experience dealing with such kind of "problems"?
> Should these stadiums be mapped in a different way or should validators be
> updated?
>
>  Thank you
>
> P.S. keepright is not the only validator identifying this as an "error".

leisure=track is defined as applying to nodes or areas... in this case you
seem to have effectively applied it to linear ways...

By the looks of it, osmarender at least has probably only rendered it
because of it's features to try to correct broken areas...

Adam, who has already replied has mapped one such that the outer boundary of
the track is drawn and a hole drawn on the inner boundary of the track...

I'd suggest that to correct these problems then the area should be turned
into a contiguous area around the perimeter of the track such that the
'tails' have some actual width and are contained in way and area as the main
oval section of track...