[OSM-talk] Is OSM Mapper ready for 0.6? (was Re: DisablePotlatch finally)

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Fri Dec 19 17:29:59 GMT 2008

Hi,
On 18 Dec 2008, at 09:33, D Tucny wrote:

> 2008/12/18 Shaun McDonald <shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk>
>
> On 18 Dec 2008, at 08:56, maning sambale wrote:
>
> > What if someone edited a few ways?  Does it invalidate my whole
> > changeset/edit session? Or just the modified node/way/relation?
>
> It will invalidate just the modified node/way/relation.
> With JOSM in 0.6 there will be diff uploads, which means that all the
> changes are sent at one time. This does mean that the whole change
> will be rejected, if one node has been modified before you have
> uploaded. As the upload is done as a single request, less bandwidth
> hence time will be required. I don't know what the speedup is. The
> speedup is likely to depend on the network connection.
>

> If the API specifies which particular objects in the change were a
> problem, it would be good if JOSM gave the option of downloading
> just those objects and performing conflict resolution rather than
> just failing... Not got a clue how hard that would be to implement
> though...

It is returned as a textual message to the user, however it isn't in a
machine readable format.
http://trac.openstreetmap.org/browser/sites/rails_port_branches/api06/lib/osm.rb#L109
I'm thinking that adding some some special headers would do the trick.

> The speedup will be pretty sizable for high latency links such as
> many of those in asia when transfering more than a few
> modification... I'd guess Maning being on a dialup link in asia will
> probably see a pretty decent speed up as compression should take
> care of most of the size of the change and being sent in one go
> should remove most of the time taken in establishing new
> connections...

Excellent to hear. There is of course some extra processing time on
the server side.

Shaun