[OSM-talk] Indiscrimate layering

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Fri Dec 19 20:15:24 GMT 2008

On 19/12/2008 20:04, Nic Roets wrote:
> Perhaps you can give the list an example (data browser URL) ?

http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/27827017/history

for example.

It's not that important, but if the end of the bridge is close to a
junction it can be a bit messy sometimes. But the script is making the
invalid assumption that all bridges without layer tags should have
layer=1. In all the cases I've seen it has been largely harmless but
unnecessary and has changed the intent (though I can imagine an obscure
case of a set of tiered bridges where it could actually make it wrong if
someone has relied on the default being layer=0, though that would have
been unwise).

I've changed some of them that I did originally to be explicitly layer=0
so if this script is looking for bridges with missing layer tags it
won't change them again.

David