[OSM-talk] Indiscrimate layering

Brian Quinion openstreetmap at brian.quinion.co.uk
Sat Dec 20 01:02:40 GMT 2008

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 8:15 PM, David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com> wrote:
> On 19/12/2008 20:04, Nic Roets wrote:
> invalid assumption that all bridges without layer tags should have
> layer=1. In all the cases I've seen it has been largely harmless but
> unnecessary and has changed the intent (though I can imagine an obscure
> case of a set of tiered bridges where it could actually make it wrong if
> someone has relied on the default being layer=0, though that would have
> been unwise).

I've now tracked through the 22 edits this bot made in the area I
monitor.  Of those I think 4 will result in corruption (e.g. putting
things on the same layer which are not actually reachable from each
other), none of the others will make any difference.  Maybe I'm lazy
but I've always assumed that layer=0 was the default and I've mapped
as such and while I could go back over my edits and fix everything
that leaves the rest of the planet to fix...

Given the high error rate and virtually zero benefit if anyone is able
to 'undo' this indiscriminate update (by source IP address, hidden
user name, whatever) it would seem a good idea.  If it isn't possible
to undo the changes (because it is anon.) then I'd +1 the ban on anon.
edits for the simple reason that we need to be able to undo things!

BTW - it hasn't only changed bridges, also tunnels to -1, and a rather
random looking change to a highway tag from
highway=unclassified;tertiary to highway=unclassified.
--
 Brian