[OSM-talk] Freemap is dead, long live OpenFootMap (and a hosting question)

Matthias Julius lists at julius-net.net
Fri Dec 19 22:45:00 GMT 2008

Nick Whitelegg <Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk> writes:

> I'd also like to get a bit of advice on hosting. Currently I am using a
> Bytemark VM for Freemap, but I'm wondering whether something like the
> Business package from uk2.net would give more server power, at the expense
> of root access.  Because client processing power is very much less
> expensive, financially, than the server end, I plan to make
> openfootmap.org much more lightweight on the server side than Freemap, by
> doing rendering at home, using the Mapnik OSM plugin, and simply serve
> static tiles from the server, much like tiles at home on the osmarender side.

Maybe we could consider to integrate other map layers into T at H.  All
the render job handling could be done by the T at H server and either the
clients upload each tileset to a server as specified in the config or
tah hands the tilesets over to the other tile servers.  The latter
would probably be better if bandwidth is not an issue.

This would have a couple of advantages:
- You could utilize an established render network.
- Clients render all layers from the same data, there would be no
  additional load for API servers
- Most of the infrastructure is there, you just need to set up a
  simplified (without the request handling) tile server

Matthias