[OSM-talk] Indiscrimate layering

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 12:28:09 GMT 2008

2008/12/20 Brian Quinion <openstreetmap at brian.quinion.co.uk>:

> BTW - it hasn't only changed bridges, also tunnels to -1, and a rather
> random looking change to a highway tag from
> highway=unclassified;tertiary to highway=unclassified.

Well, highway=unclassified;tertiary isn't a sane tagging, so the "fix"
at least represents a 50/50 stab at the truth and the road will
render. Often, this kind of daft tagging has been a result of what
Potlatch does when two unlike road segments are combined. Any sign of
Potlatch guarding against this kind of silliness? Yes, I know it now
has a warning - _I_ know what it means but I'm not convinced it will
help a novice mapper, and by the time the warning is issued, the
semicolon is already in place :(

Dermot