[OSM-talk] Some more shops and amenities for the map features page ...

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 18:29:28 GMT 2008

2008/12/20 Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping at googlemail.com>:

> Again, I've added some more shop and amenity values to the map features
> page (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Map_Features), derived
> from the tagwatch usage statistics
> (http://tagwatch.stoecker.eu/Europe/En/index.html).

I think this is well worth doing. However, I wonder if we can manage a
little more consistency:

> shop=
> computer 115
> department_store 133
> electronics 211
> garden_centre 127
> optician 100
> shoes 140

OK - all in the singular except for electronics and shoes. Probably no
reason to try to change these.

> amenity=
> dentist 133
> doctors 430

It's "doctors" that puzzles me. Why not "doctor"? I know that you are
reporting reality here, but maybe we have a chance now to document a
more consistent set of tags and perhaps the (possibly few) mappers
already using "doctors" would be prepared to retag.

> It seemed that for these values there were no real "rivals" with equal
> meaning (maybe except for amenity=doctor used 160 times).

That's a fair-sized minority. I wonder if the "doctors" camp contains
a small number of prolific mappers.

Dermot