[OSM-talk] Inheritance of roles in nested relations

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Dec 20 21:53:54 GMT 2008

Hi,

Hugh Barnes wrote:
> It's a shame. You have to admit it's a useful device and would reduce
> duplication of work (creation and maintenance) and storage
> significantly.

Sure but it's not something that should be done on the API level. The
API is intended as an as-simple-as-possible storage engine. How you
interpret data coming out of the API is your (the client's) choice.

> I am thinking of this metadata on the relations to explicitly recommend
> inheritance "treatment":

[...]

> I know I could just do this, but would I get community support? Is it
> necessary to set up a poll or RFC?

I believe people are already doing this to map long roads
(country-spanning motorways) in Germany - without the special tags you
suggest. It might be worthwhile for you to analyze these existing uses.

I think that in the long run, all tools should be able to, on a
fundamental level, accept a relation everywhere they would expect a way,
and then substitute the relation's members. Which would apply
recursively and thus neatly solve your problem. I'm not sure there is a
need to explicitly tag the fact that something is a "parent" or "child"
relation in your case.

Bye
Frederik