[OSM-talk] Inheritance of roles in nested relations

Hugh Barnes list.osm at hughbris.com
Sat Dec 20 21:37:20 GMT 2008

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 08:39:04 +0100
Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

Thanks for your answer.

> Hugh Barnes wrote:
> > So it's occurred to me if I tag a role for a bus stop ("stop") in a
> > "child" relation, and then include that relation in the larger route
> > relation, does the bust stop have the role "stop" in the "parent"?
>
> No, the bus stop is not known the the "parent" at all. Way 1, in your
> example, is not part of Rel 7.

It's a shame. You have to admit it's a useful device and would reduce
duplication of work (creation and maintenance) and storage
significantly.

> > If you say "it's up to the client application", that's fine.
>
> I guess it would be possible to create a "relation viewer" that
> recursively downloads child relations and somehow makes a whole from
> it for display/use. It's just not something that would work on a
> general level - just for specific relation types.

I am thinking of this metadata on the relations to explicitly recommend
inheritance "treatment":

* parent relation has member child relation with role as "inherits" or
"child" or "component"
* child relations which have been constructed as nothing but building
blocks for larger relations have tag "component=yes" or similar to
clearly indicate what they're for, in case they get looked at in
isolation.

I know I could just do this, but would I get community support? Is it
necessary to set up a poll or RFC?

Cheers