[OSM-talk] Indiscrimate layering

OJ W ojwlists at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 21 13:16:18 GMT 2008

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 1:11 PM, "Marc Schütz" <schuetzm at gmx.net> wrote:
>> Doesn't layer=-1 mean that something should be 'below' the landuse
>> polygons when rendering?  So if you have a river at level=-1 on a
>> landuse=farm, then you will never see the river because it's under the
>> (default layer=0) ground.
>>

> No, landuse isn't a physical feature, but a logical one. Renderers should always draw landuse areas below all other things.

OK, let's use something non-landuse like natural=forest or
leisure=park as an example then - if you have a forest at layer 0 and
a stream at layer -1, would you expect to see the stream?

We could also consider a bridge with a forest on top (e.g. I remember
there being one in Newcastle), which should probably obliterate any
layer=0 road that goes under the bridge.