[OSM-talk] I've added some amenity values to "Map Features" based on tag usage

Simon Ward simon at bleah.co.uk
Sun Dec 21 19:02:36 GMT 2008

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 02:46:07PM +0000, Dave Stubbs wrote:
> > Same goes for trying to encode hierarchy into keys and values really.
> > It's quite cumbersome.  We're using XML, it's good for structuring data
> > (eye of the beholder thing there), and instead of trying to encode
> > structure in values that's where it should be.  Of course, my complete
> > overhaul of OpenStreetMap tools/API to do all this is just around the
> > corner too.  I jest.
> >

> Well XML is just the transport format.
> The actual database is stored in a relational database, and they
> really aren't very good at hierarchies at all.

Maybe a relational database isn’t the best place for storing properties
about nodes/ways/relations.  OpenStreetMap has a namespace and an API
that presents a unique URI for every object (AFAICT) which is enough to
base an RDF model on.

> Anyway, if you want hierarchies you can always use relations :-)

Heh, there’s the RDF model ☺

Simon
simple system that works.—John Gall