[OSM-talk] OSM-WIKI: reducing redundancy, less redundant and standardized data exchange

Karl Guggisberg karl.guggisberg at guggis.ch
Mon Dec 22 16:02:22 GMT 2008

Hi there,

In [2] we see that there are partially redundante declarations of map
features (descriptions of keys or key/value-pairs for tagging OSM
primitives) in the wiki. The major reason for redundant is, that they appear
both on individual pages (like [[Key:heighway]] or [[Tag:highway=primary]])
and on summary pages (like [[Map Features]]). So far we didn't come up with
an approach to *declare* a map feature only once on the Wiki (i.e. by
instantiating a suitable template) and to *use* this declaration both in
indvidual pages and in summary pages.

I don't see yet how Semantic MediaWiki could help use here because the
limited templating approach seems to remain unchanged. An example on how
Semantic MediaWiki could help to declare, say, the data for the
key/value-pari highway=primary would be very appreciated. Perhaps on the
talk page of [2]?

-- Karl